Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Where's my sugar??

Tesco seem to be making a lot of noise about how green they are with all their noise about Fairtrade and green club card points so, when we ran out of sugar at the office I popped down to see if I could get some fairtrade sugar.

Yes I know, I should have gone to a local shop, but as Tesco is in walking distance and the nearest local shop selling fairtrade sugar is at least a hour long mission away so off I went.

Now, you would have thought a massive company like this would have had a selection but, dear reader, there was not a single example on the shelves.

I asked the shop assistants who referred me to the manager who, after consulting their database, told me that no, it hadn't all sold out; they never stocked it, and I should call Head Office.

Upon calling their HQ, I was put through to the Press Office who I asked for a comment I could post on this blog. "Er... Umm... maybe there's no demand?" was the reply.

So, next time you're in Tesco, hopefully not too frequent an occurance, go to the customer service desk, ask for the manager and DEMAND fairtrade sugar!

It keeps us sweet dontchaknow?

2 comments:

Joe said...

Hi,

Although I am passionately behind fairtrade, I have some problems with some products. For example, it makes little sense to be flying in flowers from kenya, fairtrade or not.

Similarly, whilst there is an excess of sugar and oranges in the European Union, I'll not be buying fairtrade oranges from South America or sugar from the Caribbean.

Peace

Joe

Jason said...

Hey Joe,

You are quite right, but where do I get European sugar from?